Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Starting over!

It certainly has been awhile since I've done this.  February 2007, wow that feels like two lifetimes ago.  Since then so much as changed.  I think I'll just make a list to see how big it will be:

1) I was accused of cheating on my girlfriend with no proof.
2) I had to take a medical withdrawl from CSUN due to severe depression.
3) I came back to Carpinteria.
4) I got a job working in a high-end sunglass store.
5) I got myself out of $3,000 of debt.
6) I turned 23.
7) I photographed five weddings since I came back.
8) I wasn't accepted into Bella Pictures as a contract wedding photographer.
9) I went back to SBCC to finish my AA in Graphic Design: Photography.
10) I didn't go up to Mammoth Lakes, CA at all during the winter.
11) I was dumped by my girlfriend two weeks before Christmas.
12) I spent all of Christmas and New Years alone.
13) I was pulled back in by my ex for a five days then dumped again.
14) I entered into my last semester at SBCC, hopefully.
15) I worked by butt off for the new college magazine ICON as a photographer and contributer.
16) I was appointed Photo Editor for ICON's final issue and the next fall semester if I stayed in SB.
17) I did a few short films for a class at SBCC.  One of which had a taxi cab driver with a lot of gas. (Fart, Fart)
18) I re-connected with a fellow Warrior, who I thought might be interested in me.
19) I went on a family vacation to Turks & Caicos in the Eastern Caribbean for a week.
20) I met a whole bunch of people, mostly women.
21) Came back with presents for 'the interested warrior,' some fellow co-workers, my ex, and myself.
22) I made a Facebook account and started maintaining it on a daily basis.
23) I cancelled by subscription to BIGFolio who were hosting my website.
24) I signed up and paid for David Jay's Freedom Tour in early August.
25) I got a job working for Paddle Sport of Santa Barbara doing rentals at the harbor and kayak sales.
26) I got my CPR for the professional rescuer certification.
27) I have got myself back into debt with two big photographic purchases.  One Nikon 70-200mm VR lens and one Olympus 1030 W point and shoot, waterproof camera.
28) I have started building a new website using ShowIt Websites, a program launched by David Jay that is in its beta development stage.
29) I have stopped eating cereal for breakfast in favor of fresh organic fruit and soy protein smoothies.
30) I have lost 10 lbs. and got myself back in shape.
31) I have re-discovered my love of mountain biking.
32) I have discovered a love of ocean kayaking and can't wait to try river kayaking.
33) I have applied to Humbolt University in Northern California and need to send my transcripts off into order to be accepted.  I'm going for a BA in Journalism with Environmental Ethics as a minor.

Wow, that was a little longer than I suspected.  I apologize if that was long and way to much information, but I think I have to get it out if I'm to learn from all that has happened in the last year.  This past year was supposed to be my 'golden year.'  As I turned 23 on the 23rd of August.  Yet, on the eve of my 24 birthday I've been having a hard time finding all that much to feel golden about.

I think I should stop feeling so lost and start feeling more free.  Because that is what I have, a lot of freedom.  I have the freedom to choose where my photography is going to go instead of being tied down by my contract wedding photography work.  I have the freedom to be healthy in the outdoors and not constantly being nagged to go to a gym by my ex.  I have the freedom to actually have the time to go and do things in the outdoors.

Which reminds me.  It's a beautiful day and I should get outside and enjoy it as should you.  That is today's advice:  Make some personal freedom today to go enjoy the beauty around you.
-BT

No comments: